Suuremõisa castle (Estonia)
The manor’s founding date is not known. In the Middle Ages the Pühalepa area was held by the Livonian branch of the Teutonic Order. Suuremõisa was mentioned in 1519 as the Pühalepa Order’s manor. When Hiiumaa became part of Sweden in September 1563 the manor came into the ownership of the King of Sweden. In the 17th century the manor was known as both Pühalepa (Hoff Pöhilepp) and Suuremõisa (Grossenhof) manor.
The majority of Hiiumaa (incl. Suuremõisa) was owned by the noble De la Gardie family in the 17th century. After the Great Northern War (1700-1721) the manor became a rental property of the Russian army. From 1755-1796 the manor was owned by the Stenbocks; the Ungern-Sternbergs possessed it from 1796-1919, until the Republic of Estonia sequestered all manors.